Tuesday, March 15, 2011

And we're one step closer....

My dear, wonderful husband was nice enough to take all of my office items out of the spare room so I could paint this past weekend (while he visited a friend and stayed out too late).  :)  I think it was a fair trade though.  (He's awful at painting...even though he thinks he's good).

So here's what the room looked like...

As you can see, there was 3 large black floating shelves on one side, the original curtain rod with some blue curtains that hung on the window and a black filing cabinet with a dry erase calendar hung above it to the right.

This wall was the challenge wall.  I originally painted this wall with blackboard paint.  It was awesome to have while it was an office.  But doesn't really work in a nursery room.  So the challenge....how in the heck do you paint over black?!?!  3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint....I was not about to go through that much trouble.  Casey thought it was impossible too.  And so our bet came to be.  I bet him that I could paint that wall with 2 coats of paint and no primer.  He just laughed at me and shook my hand.  Little did he know that I saw a commercial for some Valspar paint that guaranteed to cover anything in one coat.  I bet Casey two coats...just to cover my own butt.

There is a vent where the big hole is at the top of this wall.  I took it off so I could paint underneath it.  The previous owners just painted around it, so it took a little prying to get it off the wall.  Once I took it off, there was quite a bit of dust in there....GROSS!!  I'm still considering having someone come in and clean out all of our vents!

 The door to the left leads to the hallway and the door to the right is the closet door.  The blue wall was suppose to be my inspiration wall, but I never got around to finishing it.  Right now I have 9 carpet squares from CB2 that I was going to use as a bulletin board on this wall.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with them now?!?

And we are back around to the beginning wall.

So, after much contemplation and looking over the nursery bedding, I decided to go with a pale pink color.  I wanted a barely there pink, just a wash.  So Madison and I went to Lowe's to pick out a color.  We picked out a pink that was a little "pinker" than what I wanted, mostly because that's the one Madison liked but also because I wanted to be able to see the pink and it not look too washed out.

Once we got home, my painting assistant (Madison) pooped out on me quite early.  Needless to say, I did 90% of this room completely by myself.  Overall, the Valspar Hi-Def formula really did the trick!!  I was amazed at the coverage.  I'm pretty sure that the paint has some primer in it and that's why it covered so well.  The paint was extremely thick and unfortunately we had to buy 2 gallons to do the nursery room and the closet.  One gallon of normal paint would have easily covered the square footage...but with the black wall, I didn't want to take any chances.

So....voile....the final result.
At first, I didn't like the color.  It was a pink overload to me!  But as I kept peaking in the room and looking at it and visualizing everything else in the room, I began to calm down a little.  I'm just going to have to be careful and not put too much more pink in there, at least not pale pink.

I still have some touch ups to do on the trim, it should take too long so I'm not too worried about it.  And all of the electric outlets and the light switch will soon be replaced as well.  Right now they are all off-white.  I want them to be switched to white.  (There are some other original light cover switches in our house that need to be switched.  They are gold!  I mean really gold, like metallic, shiny gold!  Gag me!!!)

And here's the view of the wall and inside the closet.  Now that it's painted we can soon install the closet system!  Hooray!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment