Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Spring Break Recap

What a week Madison and I had last week!  It was beyond perfect.  It was exactly what I needed....a week to force myself to slow down, take a deep breathe, and enjoy myself.  There's something about going back to Indiana for a full week on my own time- no holidays, no parties-that makes me feel refreshed!  And it's exactly what I need, especially with the next few months being already completely packed with places to go, people to see and things to get done!

The beginning of the week, well technically it was still the weekend, but it was the beginning of our spring break, Madison spent some time at her dad's and then her Mamaw Hawkins.  This gave me some time to myself and time to catch up with friends, as well as some work I had to complete.  The weekend was pretty much summed up here so I'll recap with Monday.

Monday it poured and poured!  Not the best day outside, but that didn't alter my plans!  I woke up fairly early (I'm an early riser) and got some work done.  I then proceeded to get ready for a much anticipated shopping trip with a very dear friend, Hannah.  We went to Indianapolis and went to H&M where they had a baby section!  I scored some very cute and uber cheap (as all of H&M is) stash.  We walked around the mall for a few hours and then ate at PF Changs; a favorite of mine!  We then went to the Greenwood area and did a little more shopping.  Needless to say, I was exhausted after wards and my legs were aching like I was a little old lady!  When I got back to the in-laws (where I was staying for a few days) we all had some super yummy chicken and watched the NCAA Men's Baketball game.  We had to cheer on Butler!!  I made it to half time and then dozed off on the couch and then eventually forced myself to bed.

Tuesday was a full day of work.  Nothing spectacular about this day, except for the Italian Beef sandwiches we had for dinner.

Wednesday I was awake for maybe 30 minutes when I got a phone call from Madison.  She was ready to see her momma.  Enough said, I was on my way to pick her up!  I did have some more work to finish up, so she entertained herself with a little morning cartoons.  We then got ready, packed up the van and headed to Mom Polley's.  As soon as we got there, Madison was ready to go for a walk down to Sulpher Springs and look for geodes.  So off we went.  This was both Madison and I's first experience down there.  We walked through the cow pasture where Madison repeated asked if the bull was out.  I honestly had no idea, but I told her no.  Once we got down to the creek, I showed Madison what kind of rocks to look for.  Madison instantly found a large geode that she wanted to keep.  I told her that if she wanted to keep that one, she had to carry it.  And so she did.  We eventually found a great area for me to sit for awhile and she could walk around and find as many geodes as we could carry.  She had a blast!  We very quickly had a very large pile of geodes.  We went through them and picked out which ones we wanted to take back with us and which ones we would leave behind.  Between the two of us, we were bogged down.  Back to the house we went.....but not without out a few minute rest stop up the steep hill!  On the way back, the cows were out.  It was so pretty!  I was kicking myself for not bringing my phone to take a picture.  The calves were playing, the grass was green and the sky was a beautiful blue!  A perfect spring day on our spring break.  Madison however had a problem with the cows.  For whatever reason she didn't like that they were so close to us and apparently a few of the cows had staring problems and she thought it was extremely rude.  I had to laugh out loud at a few of her comments.  Silly city girl!!

Back at the house, we of course had to crack open the geodes first thing!  We cracked all of them except for the really big ones.  That night we had some really good chicken and artichoke hearts, salad, roasted potatoes and bread.  We also had a dinner guest, cousin Hillary!!

Thursday, Madison and I woke up to homemade waffles!  Is there any better was to start out the day?  No, I don't think so!  Kim came and picked all of us up and away we went to Bloomington.  Mom Polley had to get a treatment done first thing.  While we were there Madison picked up the local paper can started to read an article.  It was so funny, I had to snap a picture.

We stopped by a favorite store of Kim's and then away we went for some lunch.  We went to Sweetgrass, a restaurant I've been wanting to try for a very long time.  The tomato soup I had was outstanding!  The salad was just okay.  I completely blame myself on choosing the salad over the burger!  I was trying to be healthy....lesson learned.  We went to Angel B's, right next door, afterwards to take a look at they pastries.  Madison and I couldn't resist; she got a cupcake and I got a mini turtle cake.  Madison cupcake topper, which was all icing, was just amazing!  I was impressed with Angel B's!

We then stopped by a book store where Madison was treated to a few books for her growing "library" at home.  She received The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary: How Gregg Heffley Went Hollywood, Junie B Jones Diary and The Candymakers.  After that it was back to the Polley farm.  I wasn't feeling the best, actually I was in a lot of pain.  Too much in the past few days.  Madison marched my little butt up stairs and tucked me into bed and ordered me to take a nap.  She also gave me her blankey that makes her feel better and a glass of water.  (Such a sweet child!)  Her and Kim went on a 4-wheeler ride back down to Sulpher Springs, but they went all the way back and gathered some more geodes.  After my much needed nap, we had another feast of spaghetti, salad and bread.  Oh soo good.  Kim and Hillary joined us for dinner that night too!

Friday, we had a lazy morning but then began packing for a road trip down to my dad's.  Before we left we had to stop by Uncle Dave's so he could crack open the big geodes.  He got out his big sledge hammer, but with the first swing the handle broke!  Ooops!  Madison giggled at that.  He found another hammer and cracked open the geodes with ease!  Madison was pumped!

As soon as we got to my dad's she ran out to the barns to try to find him.  I on the other hand started to unpack what I could out of the van.  Dad had to finish planting a field so Madison and I made him some lunch, packed it up for him and then took it out to him.

I went back to the house to clean the mess I made.  Madison wanted to stay out in the barn with cousin Mat and Dean, their hired hand for many years.  When I finished I went out there she was just hanging out with the guys and playing with Hershey, my dad's dog.  Dad was finished with the field shortly after I got out there.  Madison watched the guys load the planter back up and then it was some one-on-one time with Papaw Farmer!  She was so excited to see him, she couldn't sit still!  She immediately asked if she could shoot the gun.  This was something we tried to introduce to her last time we were on the farm and she had no interest AT ALL!  Dad looked at me and asked if I said something.  I didn't, it was all her!  So, we pulled out the BB gun and and empty cardboard box and made a target.  Madison immediately made it into a game between the three of us.  We quickly ran out of bullets and discovered there were none left in the house.  So we made a trip into town to get some more.  While they did that, I grabbed some groceries since my dad is a bachelor and NEVER has food in the house.  We met at the check out, but with a new BB gun in tow and a huge smile on Madison's face!

We had a great evening of teaching Madison about gun safety and how to hold a gun and how to aim.  She didn't do too bad!  While Madison and dad were continuing the lessons, I headed to get some Bobe's Pizza.  When I got back they were packing everything in for the night.  We all ate pizza and watched a NASCAR race......it was a country night through and through!

No comments:

Post a Comment