Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oh, my bones!

My left leg has been bothering me for about a month and a half and it's been getting worse, so my doctor recommended some physical therapy.  I figured, what the heck, it's not going to make it any worse than it is now.  I will admit, I was a skeptic going in though.

So yesterday was the first appointment.  I told the therapist that it was my pelvic bone that hurt.  But when I walked or stood for long periods of time, there would also be a sharp shooting pain down my leg.  Oh, and I made sure to tell her that when I slept and rolled over in the middle of the night, I would be howling from the pain.  After many more questions on her end and some prodding on her end, she told me the problem.  The left side (in the front) of my pelvic bone had shifted higher than my right.  Apparently, this is common.

She then had me do some exercises.  It was a complete joke!  Seriously, I think a three year old would have laughed at these.  I had no idea how these simple exercises were going to help.  She also put a Velcro "belt" around my hips.  It was very snug and again, felt like a joke.  I was suppose to wear it when I did any walking or standing.

Fast forward to this morning and WOW!  Maybe what she did, did actually help?!?  I remember rolling over last night and I felt no pain.  I woke up this morning and again, no pain!  Holy cow....all of those simple exercises and the velcro belt really did do the trick.  Who would have thought!?

Regardless, I am grateful!  And the best part, the therapist doesn't think I'll need to go to the office very much.  I can do all do all of the exercises at home!  Cha-ching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment